Sunday 8 March 2015

SUMBAWA, LOMBOK, BALI ... FERRIES, TIRES, VISAS

My latest track - roughly 2000 KM - 25 hours of riding - 17 hours on ferries - 10 days

I never got a final diagnosis from the hospital... some kind of mystery virus, but I had made an 80% recovery and was flown back to my bike in Labuan Bajo, Flores. Upon my return I inquired again at the port for the next ferry – I was informed by the office there: 7AM departure, 5AM ticket sales... sweet, tomorrow the plan was to make my recovery on the deck.

After a 4AM start I rode 10 minutes down to the port, no lights, only one truck – so after the usual game of charades with a local I learnt that the ferry wasn’t leaving until 9AM with the ticket office opening at 7AM. Well then, back to the hotel for coffee, breakfast and a short nap. Down at the port again at 7AM it was a struggle explaining that the bike is 650cc (HUGE in Asia) and whilst trying to buy an expensive enough ticket for it I was getting phone calls from some other travellers at the hotel wanting me to buy them tickets as well. Eventually I got my bike onto the ferry and met a father-son pair of German travellers that were quite interested in my trip, after presuming I don’t understand German they went ahead and spoke about me like I wasn’t there. “What an idiot for not visiting...’here and here” and other similar amusing statements. So I left them there and spent the journey up on deck.

Leaving Flores, fish markets (right)

The other valuable cargo also on-board the ferry

My view for the 7 hour crossing, glorious


Upon arrival on Sumbawa I rode to the closest hotel roughly an hour from the port, after the (by now) usual photos with half the hotel staff it was an early night in, trying to moisturise my lobster coloured skin... 7 hours up on deck made for a wicked ‘tan’!

Celebrating being back on the road!

Swamped fields - almost like marsh lands


The following day I rode to the city of Sumbawa (yes... Sumbawa on Sumbawa – roughly half way across), the hotels I checked cost around $48 and $30 per night respectively which was out of my budget so I had a burger and continued on to Poto Tano, the Western port town. I arrived there at 445PM and the ferry left with me at 5PM – nice to have a bit of luck!

Winding empty roads through palm tree villages

Sumbawa's towns still had that rural beauty - seemingly un-disturbed


Arriving at the ferry port, "what cc? ... 650!??!"


We made port in Lombok at 630PM amidst thunder and rain, from here I rode to where I thought the closest hotel was. 730PM I arrived, but what was a hotel on my map was just a restaurant. 8PM I found a hotel, $50 per night... eek! 9PM another non-existent hotel/restaurant. 930PM I arrived at a cheap hotel... full! 10PM I was finally checked in on the other side of Lombok for $10, I’ll call it a win... but only just. Drenched and exhausted I passed out almost immediately.

Lombok - little signs of the weather to come

Ducking for shelter under a tree to smash on my rain gear, hectic


The most difficult part about the previous night had been that the drivers here either have no lights on OR their high beams on permanently. In the rain and at night that combination made for absolutely ridiculous riding conditions... not to mention the usual goats, dogs, trucks and pot holes. But the following day was sunny and perfect for riding early in the morning. So I made my way North from Mataram to what looked like 2 ports on the map. 2 hours later and I arrived at the speed boat ports for the Gili islands, oops I was meant to ride South from Mataram! Another 2 hours later I was at the port I should have been that morning and boarded, destination: Bali!

Lombok's coastal paradise, un-crowded and dreamy roads
 
The towns were packed - a small glimpse into what shares the road in Indonesia (and this not busy!)



The plan was to arrive in Bali around 4PM and then ride to Ubud to meet my mum (She was to fly back to AUS the following day). However due to port delays I didn’t get into Padangbai, Bali until after sunset. So I shacked up in a wicked little backpacker place for $5 that night (Topi inn).

Topi Inn dorm room, really chilled place

Waking up in Bali - watching locals head out for snorkeling and diving


After a late start I rode the 1.5 hours to Ubud and met my mum at her yoga retreat, ate some expensive hippie food and then rode another 1.5 hours down to Kuta (Bye mum). Here I was staying in South Kuta, at the Palma B&B... about 10 minutes ride from the main tourist area.

Beautiful but costly - Yoga Barn in Ubud (I did not stay here)

Heaps of bikes here are loaded more than I am - doubt he upgraded his suspension aha



Over the following days I organised my tire change, spent Saturday flying to KL, Malaysia to renew my Indonesian visa (this is the quickest and most expensive way of doing it – why I’m in a slight rush will be revealed soon!). But now it’s Sunday and I’ve done my shopping for the next part, organised my maps and am packed ready to leave tomorrow for the most populated island in the world, Java... estimated 143 million inhabitants!

My own personal workshop at Palma's B&B - it was also raining a metric bucket load for days

I stand by nervously watching my spare tire being fitted after the first one became a racing slick

Visa run to Malaysia - I returned the same day for a visa on arrival in Bali







2 comments:

  1. you wrote :" the hotels I checked cost around $48 and $30 per night respectively which was out of my budget "

    Q. You do not have a tent to sleep? Pitch it somewhere out of sight off the road? Is it not safe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was right at the start of my trip where I wasn't that comfortable setting up my tent just anywhere. Also there are villages everywhere so being stealthy is difficult in indonesia.

      Delete